What Self Publishing Blogs Aren't Telling You


Social Media Marketing is Dead!

Well, it is to a large degree. I've subscribed to so many blogs over the past year where every bit of advice is exactly the same. Use social media and their ads in this way to generate more sales and traffic for your website. Want to know something? Under most circumstances, this doesn't work.

Social Media sites are meant for just that, being sociable. Sure, they would help to grow interest in you as a person and as an author, if you try to get to know your target audience, but sharing posts and placing ads doesn't appear to be that effective. In my experience, those that do click or boost links and posts are fake accounts that have no data- I'm especially referring to Facebook here.


What will help?

Learn about the entire Publishing Process. There are places with as much information as you can imagine. The internet is a vast sea of knowledge and when you're more familiar with the process yourself, your efforts will be well worth the time and money you invest in them.

Recently, I came across an article that spoke about a Self Publishing Guide known as The Self Publisher's Ultimate Resource Guide (2016.) Now, I'm always skeptical when I spot things like this. Here we go again, I say to myself. They just want me to buy a book. Then, I decided to google the Amazon link.



Reading the blurb, the guide actually sounded like something I could use to help me. I ordered myself a used copy and when it arrived in the post, I dove right in, using coloured post-its and highlighters to mark all the things that I wanted to focus on.

One of the things that worries me about these books is not knowing the exact content and if it will help me or my fellow Indie Authors. With that in mind, I've bullet pointed a list of most of the subjects below. Each has its own chapter and sections, giving the specifics of that topic and examples of websites where you can find help, support, and various services for budding authors.



  • Editing
  • Cover Design & Formatting
  • eBook Coversion
  • Writing Software
  • Trade Associations
  • Virtual Book Tours
  • Web Design for Authors
  • Book Review Services
  • Press Releases
  • Social Media Consultants
  • Book Distributors & Retailers
  • Promotion & Marketing


This book will provide information that will teach you how to gain visibility for yourself and your books. Even just skimming through, I already feel like I understand the publishing process a lot more than I did beforehand.

What I still don't understand is that having searched so many popular book blogs, NONE of the ones I saw made even a vague reference to this book. It's ridiculous. If you're planning to self-publish your books, I would recommend picking up a copy of The Self Publisher's Ultimate Resource Guide.

The chapters listed above are a Godsend. We Indie Authors and Reviewers need to stick together and encourage each other to be the best we can be.


A quick note: While social media marketing isn't reliable, you must do whatever you feel is right for you. I'm not saying quit altogether, but perhaps spend the majority of your effort marketing in other ways, or if you are able, search out a freelance marketer to help.



Thank you for reading my article. Have a good week,

Daccari Buchelli.
http://www.buchellibooks.co.uk
https://buchellibooksblog.blogspot.co.uk/










Popular posts from this blog

Buchelli Books Has Moved

Not Just a Fan of Fantasy, but of Thrillers